Thursday, March 12, 2009

Happy New Home

Naptime is a beautiful thing… especially when both girls are sleeping at the same time – a real treat for Mommy!

The girls are doing great. Elizabeth’s first birthday is in three weeks! She’s starting to walk (propped up by a toy stroller, toy car, Mommy or Daddy) and throws an all-out tantrum when someone doesn’t walk with her – even when she’s using a toy to take those precious steps! She loves to go up and down stairs and is practicing the “feet-first, on-your-tummy” descent method. She is quite attached to Mommy, which can be tough sometimes, but the Lord has been good to give me the necessary endurance. I just know that one day she won’t want me around all the time, so I must cherish these moments... right?! ;)

Elizabeth is in LOVE with her Daddy! She can’t get away from me fast enough when he comes home from a long day at work, and will not let anyone relax until she is snug in his arms. She literally bounces with uncontrollable excitement – it is absolutely adorable! She loves her sister, too. She’s always so happy to see Abigail when we pick her up from school – usually laughs with a huge smile. Not having a sister myself, it warms my heart to see them enjoying each other, as they often do. Good thing… because they’ll be sharing a room pretty soon!

Abigail is doing great – still enjoying school. She has started taking Thursdays “off,” so we can have more time together. I’ve missed her! She and a few other children go to swim class on Mondays, and the whole school goes on field trips on Wednesdays. The remaining days are pretty busy for Elizabeth and me, so Thursday just fit most naturally into our schedule. AND… she is learning Hungarian! While we were out today, a woman asked her a couple of questions in Hungarian, and Abigail responded with nods and shakes of her head! The kind woman then spoke to me in Hungarian… “Sorry – only English,” and she then said – in English – that she thinks Abigail speaks two languages! I was very impressed.

Lee is doing well… mostly. He’s extremely busy, which means he’s stressed. He’s been ill (cold, fever, and now an ear infection), off an on, for three weeks now. He’s doing better, but still not great. He’s playing football (soccer) on Thursday evenings, and that helps a lot with the stress. Those of you who know him know that he MUST have an athletic outlet, or he starts to get a little stir crazy! His position at Citibank is secure for now, so – even though Hungary is among the worst of Eastern European countries to be affected by the global economy – we are not concerned… yet.

I’m getting back into the groove of things, establishing a routine (sort of) and otherwise settled into our new flat! We are so thankful to be here. It truly is perfect for us. We gave up a few things to move here (a balcony, a cushy garage and an indoor swimming complex, just to name a few), but we strongly prefer it here. It’s in a turn-of-the-century classical building in a prime location. The flat’s design is beautiful, and the rooms are large, with high ceilings. The best part of the whole place is the girls’ room. There is a raised platform that looks like a stage, with a built-in trundle bed! Whoever designed it was a genius.

The “next-best” room is the kitchen. It’s huge… almost ridiculous, by Hungarian standards. I even have double sinks and a vegetable sprayer! Before finding this place, I wasn’t even sure those things were sold here! And, I am very excited to have a clothes dryer again (in the bathroom, not the kitchen). I learned, with surprising ease, how to live without a dryer during our first year here. But I am so glad to have one again. We have fluffy towels! I’ve never appreciated fluffy towels like I do now!

We will be very busy over the next couple of months. Between now and the end of April, I plan to host – with lots of much-needed help – playgroup (which is no small event), two baby showers, and Elizabeth’s birthday party! Of course, I will do all that I can to get the flat decorated - especially the girls’ room – at the same time we’re planning and prepping all these events. Yes, I am a bit insane… thanks for asking. ;)

No comments: